The Pittsburgh Concert Society (PCS) holds auditions in the Major Artist category to provide recital performance opportunities and financial support to highly-qualified classical musicians who live in the Pittsburgh area. These auditions are arranged by the Pittsburgh Concert Society, are held in Pittsburgh, and are judged by an independent adjudicator from outside the area. The adjudicator for the 2018 Major auditions is :
- Musicians must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- All applicants must live within a 75 mile radius of Pittsburgh. This requirement extends to every member of an ensemble that wishes to apply. Previous Major Artist winners are ineligible to audition again in the same solo instrument or ensemble category.
- A candidate may not submit more than two applications in one given season, one as a soloist and one as a member of an ensemble.
- Up to 40 qualified applications will be accepted in the order they are received. Additional applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 must be included with the application.
- Applicants must perform a program of approximately 30 minutes.
- The program must include a work by an American (USA) composer and, since two winners share a recital and perform their respective programs in two parts, one before and one after intermission, it is expected that the submitted program could easily be divided into two balanced segments.
- The submitted program must be properly formatted according the the PCS Style Sheet and Concert and Recital Assistance Manager (CRAM) Guide.
- Singers must include selections in English and at least two other languages.
- Although not required, memorization is highly recommended for vocalists.
- Repertoire must be varied, not overly esoteric, and must represent varied styles and periods.
- Applicants must audition with the same program they will perform if selected.
- Applicants must provide their own accompanist and page turner if needed. If a candidate is in need of an accompanist, PCS could suggest, but not recommend, a list of pianists.
- Applicants will be notified of any issues that may cause a submitted program to be rejected, and, time allowing, will be given the opportunity to submit a revised program.
- Proper audition attire is recommended.
- The PCS reserves the right to reject an application for inadequate program quality, failure to meet the program requirements, or for any reason it determines that an applicant has not met the standards of the Pittsburgh Concert Society Major Artist Auditions.
- Audition instructions and cards will be e-mailed to all candidates approximately two weeks prior to audition date. They will be emailed to the address given on the application form.
- Winners receive a recital performance opportunity and an honorarium as outlined below.
- Winning soloists and ensembles will perform their programs—two winners per recital—on one of three Major Artist Recitals scheduled for the following autumn.
- Major Artist Audition winners receive an honorarium after their recital: $1,000 for a solo performer, $750 each for duo performers, $750 each for a trio, $750 each for a quartet, and a maximum of $3,000 for an entire group or ensemble larger than a quartet.
- The judge’s decision will be announced on the evening of the final day of auditions, and each winner will be contacted directly. The judge’s decision is final. Additionally, the results will be posted on the News page of the Pittsburgh Concert Society website at approximately 10:00 PM on the evening of the last day of auditions.
The auditions and Major Artist Recitals take place at Kresge Recital Hall in the College of Fine Arts Building, Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.
- Application period: November 1 through March 31
- Applications may be submitted online or by US mail.
- Friday, April 20, 2018 and Saturday, April 21, 2018
Major Artist Recital Dates (current season)
- September 17, 2017
- October 8, 2017
- November 5, 2017
Questions or requests for additional information may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.