Please note that all auditions spots have been filled. All future applications for the 2019 Young Artists auditions will be placed on a waiting list. Best to all.
The Pittsburgh Concert Society (PCS) holds auditions in the Young Artist category to provide recital performance opportunities and financial support to highly-qualified, young classical musicians who live in the Pittsburgh area. These auditions are arranged by the Pittsburgh Concert Society, are held in Pittsburgh, and are judged by an independent adjudicator from outside the area. The adjudicator for the 2019 auditions is:
Alan Fletcher, President and CEO of the Aspen Music Festival and School
- All applicants must live within a 75 mile radius of Pittsburgh. This requirement extends to every member of an ensemble that wishes to apply.
- Instrumentalists must be 19 years of age or younger as of June 30 of the year of their audition. Singers must be 22 years of age or younger as of June 30 of the year of their audition.
- Previous Young Artist winners are ineligible to audition again in the same solo instrument or ensemble category.
- A candidate may not apply more than twice in any given season, once as a soloist and once as a member of an ensemble.
- A candidate who does not show up on audition day without giving a valid reason may not apply to future PCS auditions.
- A non-refundable application fee of $35 must be included with the application.
- Applicant’s program must be approximately 20 minutes in length and may be of their own choosing.
- Memorization is not required.
- Applicants must audition with the same program they will perform if selected.
- The submitted program must be properly formatted according the the PCS Style Sheet and Concert and Recital Assistance Manager (CRAM) Guide.
- Applicants must provide their own accompanist and page turner if needed. If a candidate is in need of an accompanist, PCS could suggest, not recommend, a list of pianists.
- Limited funds are available to help candidates cover pianists fees.
- There is no age restriction for accompanists.
- Proper audition attire is recommended.
- Applicants will be notified of any issues that may cause a submitted program to be rejected, and, time allowing, will be given the opportunity to submit a revised program.
- Up to 35 qualified applications will be accepted in the order they are received. Additional applicants may be placed on a waiting list.
- The PCS reserves the right to reject an application for inadequate program quality, for failure to meet the program requirements, or for any reason it determines that an applicant does not meet the standards of the Pittsburgh Concert Society Young Artist Auditions.
- Audition instructions and cards will be e-mailed to all candidates approximately two weeks prior to the audition date. They will be emailed to the address given on the application form.
- Winners receive a recital performance opportunity and a scholarship as outlined below.
- Winning soloists and ensembles will perform their programs (four or five winners per recital) on one of two Young Artist Recitals.
- Young Artist Audition winners receive an honorarium at the completion of their recital: $500 for a solo performer, $350 each for duo, trio or quartet members and a maximum of $1,400 for an entire group or ensemble larger than a quartet.
- The judge’s decision will be announced on the evening of auditions, and each winner will be contacted directly. The judge’s decision is final. Additionally, the results will be posted on the News page of the Pittsburgh Concert Society website at approximately 10:00 PM on the evening of the day of auditions.
The auditions and Young Artist Recitals take place at Kresge Recital Hall in the College of Fine Arts Building, Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.
- Application period: November1 through February 15.
- Applications may be submitted online or by US mail.
- Saturday, March 9, 2019.
Young Artist Recital Dates
- Sunday, March 31, 2019
- Sunday, April 14, 2019
Questions or requests for additional information may be submitted by email to email@example.com.